he South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA) says it will not resume the Rome peace talks with the government until regional countries guarantee the safety and security of their leaders residing in those countries.
In early May, the SSOMA-allied to Gen. Thomas Cirillo boycotted a new round of peace talks under the auspices of the Community of Sant’Egidio, in protest against the murder of Gen. Abraham Wana who was attacked in April at his home in Kampala, Uganda.
Emmanuel Ajawin, SSOMA Secretary-General, told Radio Tamazuj that they demand security guarantees from regional countries before resuming the talks.
“The coalition demands guarantees, without these guarantees, we will not resume the next round. We are not ready to sit at the negotiating table with the government in light of its continued assassinations targeting coalition leaders,” he asserted.
Ajawin revealed that they have received an invitation to resume talks from June 28 until July 1 but ruled out the participation of the coalition saying, “The guarantees are what determines the resumption of the talks.”
The coalition, which consists of the non-signatory movements to the revitalized peace agreement, is negotiating separately with the government after splitting into two last year due to internal differences.
It consists of four movements namely: The National Salvation Front (NAS); The National Democratic Movement-Patriotic Front (NDM-PF); The South Sudan National Movement for Change/Army (SSNMC/A); and The United Democratic Revolution Movement/Army (UDRM/A).
Last January, the two parties, the alliance, and the government, signed the Rome Declaration agreement to cease hostilities, but clshes between the government and the National Salvation Front continues in the Equatorias.