Press Release, Rome
14th October 2020
- I would like to express my profound gratitude to the Community of Sant’ Egidio for their efforts particularly, Dr. Mario Giro, Secretary General Paolo Impagliazzo, Dr. Mauro Garofalo and all their staff including Fathers who have been with us throughout the talks.
- I appreciate and thank SSOMA and their Leadership Council, Gen. Thomas Cirillo, Spokesperson, Amb. Emmanuel Ajawin, Dr. David Bassiuni and the rest of their colleagues.
- I would like to inform the people of South Sudan, Sant’Egidio Community and International Community that the Revitalized Government of National Unity together with South Sudan Opposition Alliance have concluded Third Round of Peace Talks with initialing of the commitment to the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement (CoHA) that will ensure inclusion of SSOMA membership into CTSAMVM mechanism.
- The CTSAMVM mechanism monitoring and verification commits the parties to CoHA and deliver reports with regards to any violations. The parties have agreed to attend a workshop in November 2020 on training the officers and personnel in how to conduct their responsibilities with transparency in their reports.
- The Talks have successfully resulted in a positive manner by initialing the Declaration of Principles which shall serve as the basis for further negotiations. The next round of talks is scheduled for 30th November 2020.
- We in the R-TGoNU Delegation which is the representative of the parties that signed the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolutions of Conflicts in South Sudan and formed the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity greatly and strongly appreciate the steps taken in the latest round of talks. We appeal to SSOMA to maintain the momentum of dialogue and agreement! This will build trust and confidence among all of us. Our common interest is the wellbeing of our people, their stability and peace.
- We therefore reassure the people of South Sudan of our unwavering commitment to peace and to ensure that all the groups join in the peace process in the country. Dialogue should and must be the only way to resolve the differences if any in our country.
- The leadership and the government of the Republic of South Sudan will go all the way to listen and dialogue with all those opposition parties that have not signed the peace agreement. This is a fundamental policy encouraged by His Excellency President Salva Kiir Mayardit in order to have peace throughout our country. This will bring stability, development and services to our people. In that spirit, the R-TGoNU will adhere to the policies of AU base on its agenda 2063 that requires silencing the guns by 2020. We must silence the guns once and for all!
- The R-TGoNU Delegation has resolved and decided to attend the next round of peace talks with SSOMA with an open mind in spirit of give and take, cooperation, forgiveness resulting in win win for all the parties. We are reminded by His Holiness the Pope, with his love for the people of South Sudan and said; “concentrate on those that unite you than those that divide you”. His Holiness also stressed the fact that this should be done in spirit of cooperation and forgiveness.
- Finally, one must say and appreciate the mediation of Sant’Egidio in spirit of love and professionalism.
- I would like to thank AU, IGAD, Regional and International partners, TROIKA, UNMISS, RJMEC, EU, Switzerland and United Nations agencies in addition to USA Special Envoy, UK Special Envoy and countries like China, Japan, Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Sudan and Ethiopia for their tremendous support in helping us to reach peace in our country. We also appreciate the role of peace keeping forces.
- Thank you very much and I would be happy to see you in our next meeting. May God bless you and May God Bless South Sudan.
Hon. Dr. Barnaba Marial Benjamin (MP),
Deputy Head and Spokesperson of Government Delegation, Rome Peace Process