Date: 20/September/2022 ) Rebecca Anyon Kot, the woman who was allegedly shot dead by a man at a nightclub in Juba in a suspected love triangle, was not married to the jilted lover, a Juba court was told.
Daniel Maker Mading, an uncle to the late Rebecca, told the court that his niece was not officially married by Bobby Longar, the police officer who allegedly shot Rebecca and another man after finding them in a nightclub slightly over three months ago.
Last week, the court heard that Longar fired not less than 10 rounds of shots in the incident that took place at the parking bay of a local hotel; Rebecca was shot four times, according to the autopsy report, while Akech Manut, the man whom Longar accused of sleeping with his wife, was hit five times.
Longar told the court that he did not mean to kill Rebecca, adding that he was only provoked to shoot after Rebecca tried to intervene when he got into an argument with Manut.
But Rebecca’s uncle, in his testimony, told the court the two were never officially married, adding that Longar had not formalised the marriage despite having three children with the late Rebecca.
“I do not know the first accused (Boby Longar Akok) who killed my niece. I only got to know him after the incident,” Mading told Judge Alexander Sabor Subek.
The court also heard that two days before the fateful day, on June 15, the late Rebecca had travelled to Yirol, only to meet her death, about five hours after she returned to Juba.
“I don’t know how the late Rebecca met the person who was killed alongside her. I don’t know why Bobby killed both of them,” the uncle (from Rebecca’s mother) told the court.
The shooting incident took place at Bid Bid-Win Hotel, on the night of June 15.
“The late Rebecca was a businesswoman. I don’t know what kind of business she was doing. I just heard from her colleagues that she was a businesswoman. She was unmarried, although she had three children with the first accused.
“According to [Dinka] customs and tradition, a man or a woman cannot be considered to be a husband and wife if he did not pay dowry or if the two families did not sit down to discuss the union.
“The late Rebecca was under our responsibility until the moment of her murder.” Rebecca and Longar lived separately from each other. They did not live in the same house and place because he [Boby Longar] is irresponsible,” claimed the uncle.
Source: City Review SS ©
Gen. Buay rejects investigation committee on Mayom extrajudicial killings
JUBA – South Sudan opposition commander and leader of the holdout South Sudan People’s Movement/Army (SSPM/A) Gen. Stephen Buay Rolnyang has downplayed impact of a recent investigation committee formed by President Kiir to investigate Mayom extrajudicial killings.
In July, fighting between rebel forces belonging to Buay and South Sudan People’s Defense Forces resulted in the killing of Mayom County Commissioner who was attacked and assassinated in his house at dawn on July 21.
The government responded by hunting down rebel forces and was able to convince Sudan to handover to them those who had fled to Sudan. Four opposition commanders who were handed over by the Sudanese authorities were later on executed.
The killing parked public outcry with President Kiir being urged by members of the public to remove the governor of Unity State Nguen Manytuil Wijang who is accused of direct involvement in the killing of the opposition commanders.
Kiir then formed a committee to investigate the rising insecurity in Unity State and told the committee to receive a report in a period not exceeding two weeks.
Speaking to Sudans Post this afternoon, General Buay said he doubts that something will be done by the committee, citing previous committees formed without tangible results.
“The SSPM/A has learned with great concern the formation of the investigation committee that was formed by the regime to investigate the extrajudicial killing of the SSPA officers who were kidnapped in Fula state, Sudan on 6 August 2022 and summarily executed in Mayom by the governor of unity state on 8 August 2022,” he said.
“It has been a tendency of the regime to form an investigation committee which usually ends up without any tangible results or outcome,” he added.
He said “Several investigation committees were formed by the President himself and the results were undermined and sabotaged and thrown into dustbin with good example of the recent investigation committee that was formed to investigate atrocities that were committed by allied militias and SSPDF forces in South of Unity state, therefore, the investigation committee ended up without any tangible results. So, this investigation committee is not exceptional.”
General Buay further alleged that army generals who were involved “in the extrajudicial killing of the SSPA officers have been secretly sent to Khartoum by Hon. Tut Gatluak pretending to be sick to avoid investigation committee.”
These, he said, are General Joseph Manyuat, General Bol Mayak, and General Michal Makal Kuol Majak.
South Sudan rejects Morocco’s request to severe ties with Sahrawi
NEW YORK – South Sudan has rejected Morocco’s request for it to severe diplomatic ties with the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic, saying it supports the position of the African Union (AU) and United Nations (UN) on the matter.
The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic is a partially recognised state, recognised by 41 UN member states, located in the western Maghreb, which claims the non-self-governing territory of Western Sahara, but controls only the easternmost one-fifth of that territory.
On Tuesday, South Sudan’s Vice President for Services Cluster, Hussein Abdelbagi Akol met and held discussions with the Sahrawi Minister of Foreign Affairs on the sidelines of the 77th regular session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
The two leaders discussed bilateral relations, how to advance the interests of Africans, advocate for peace, security and supporting more than a decade-old policy in which they supported the continental body’s call for free self-determination of the Sahrawi people.
The meeting between the two leaders angered the Moroccan government, which protested in a letter it sent to the South Sudanese embassy in the North African country.
However, South Sudan’s Foreign Affairs ministry informed the Kingdom of Morocco government that “the meeting between our delegation and the Sahrawi Minister of Foreign Affairs does not negate our strategic bilateral relations with the kingdom.”
“The Republic of South Sudan is a member of the African Union and the United Nations and would want to reiterate that it does not see it fit to have contrary views to the position of the African Union and UN [Security Council] Resolution 690, as a viable engagement framework to find a lasting solution over the dispute on Western Sahara”, it added.
Juba further said it has not deviated from supporting the AU and UN’s position which insists the Sahrawi people be allowed to decide their future.
“South Sudan’s leadership and the government position on the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic is fully supportive of the decision of the Organization of African Unity turned African Union to admit SADR to its membership on 22nd August 1982, and the AU Charter which calls for the unquestionable and inalienable right of a people to self-determination,” stressed the ministry’s statement.
In 2017, Morocco’s King Mohammed VI visited South Sudan and held talks with President Salva Kiir aimed at “promoting friendship and solidarity” between both nations. The visit came at the time Morroco was seeking support to return to the AU.
Foreign policy experts, however, argue that the position of South Sudan would have backpedaled a decade-old policy in which African countries generally support calls for a referendum in a region Morocco claims is part of its territory.
MoH deploys Ebola response team at southern borders
The national Ministry of Health has deployed a technical team of 15 health workers to areas bordering Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo to monitor and screen travelers amid the new Ebola outbreak in Uganda.
Dr. Victoria Anib Majur, the ministry’s undersecretary said a five-member team is heading to Yambio of Western Equatoria State.
The health personnel include public health officers, lab technicians, case management surveillance officers and infection and preventing control officers.
“The ministry of health is very determined to make sure that there are precautionary measures in place to make sure Ebola doesn’t enter to the country,” said Anib.
“On top of it, we want to send a message to people to adhere with measure by washing hand If any person develops symptoms of fever or suspects any symptoms, he should report it to the nearest health facility.”
Dr. Victoria who spoke to reporters upon the departure of the doctors from Juba Airport, revealed that the ministry has also dispatched similar five-member team to Yei and another to Nimule.
Team of specialists deployed in Yei to conduct surveillance on Ebola Virus Disease. (Mabior Kiir).
She said the health professionals will launch precautionary measures center to monitor suspect Ebola cases.
On Tuesday, health authorities in Uganda declared an outbreak of Ebola after a case of the rare Sudan strain was confirmed in Mubende district in the central part of the country.
So far, 31 confirmed and suspected cases, and 19 deaths have been reported by Uganda’s health ministryOn Friday, President Kiir’s cabinet meeting allocated 500,000 US dollars as funds for mitigation and prevention of Ebola following reported outbreak of the virus in Uganda early this week.
- Gen. Buay rejects investigation committee on Mayom extrajudicial killings September 25, 2022
- South Sudan rejects Morocco’s request to severe ties with Sahrawi September 25, 2022
- MoH deploys Ebola response team at southern borders September 25, 2022
- S. Sudan, Ethiopia agree on joint project to link with Djibouti port September 24, 2022
- Russian men flee abroad, fearing call-up to fight in Ukraine September 24, 2022
- President Kiir encourages household farmers to engage in agricultural activities to improve livelihood September 24, 2022
- South Sudanese man arrested in India over drug-related activities September 24, 2022
- Meet Garang Kuot, National Democratic Alliance Secretary General September 24, 2022
- Government approves funds to fight Ebola September 24, 2022
- Uganda’s Ebola death toll rises to four September 24, 2022
- Grabbing of Juba University’s Land: Preserving our Learning Institutions for the Next Generations September 24, 2022
- Is Hon. Dier Tong saving dollars lost in the past through unnecessary medical claims? September 23, 2022
- South Sudan ready to mediate peace in Sudan: VP September 23, 2022
- Thousands of displaced people need aid in Ayod September 23, 2022
- The first step on a long road to establishing a viable mining sector in South Sudan September 23, 2022
- Prof Akec, CES govt lock horns over land ownership September 23, 2022
OPINIONS1 year ago
Ezra Group is a forex business, with its electricity outfit providing the conduit
Latest news1 year ago
Here Are The Richest People In South Sudan.
Latest news1 year ago
Military governor Gen Rin Tueny vows to end Lakes conflicts
Latest news3 days ago
Machar not even allowed to seek treatment abroad – Oyet
Latest news2 months ago
Malong group clashes with government, demanding release of officer taken hostage
Latest news1 year ago
The Democratic Resistance Movement (DRM) condemns horrific killings of civilians in Tambura of western Equatoria State.
Latest news1 year ago
UN helps S Sudan prepare for 2022 general elections
Entertainment2 years ago
Australia – based DJ Bossman break a record of South Sudan to spends $10,000 on just one bull