Machar’s group accuses Gen. Cirilo, Gen. Gatwech of launching attacks against its forces
JUBA – South Sudan’s main armed opposition Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO) led by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny has accused holdout opposition groups led by General Simon Gatwech Dual and General Thomas Cirilo Swaka of launching fresh attacks on its bases in separate incidents in Upper Nile and Central Equatoria state.
SPLA-IO spokesman Col. Lam Paul Gabriel said in a statement extended to Sudans Post that General Gatwech’s forces attacked opposition forces belonging to First Vice President Machar’s SPLA-IO faction in Magenis, northern Upper Nile state and promised that the attack by Gatwech was meant to derail the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.
“While all South Sudanese are busy celebrating Christmas with their families and friends, the Kitgwang elements are busy with recognition program through violence against the SPLA-IO. The SPLA-IO would like to inform the peace loving citizens of South Sudan that no amount of aggression from the Kitgwang elements will derail the Implementation of the Transitional Security Arrangement,” he said.
“The SPLA-IO calls upon the Kitgwang elements to seek better solutions to their interest than violence against the SPLA-IO. No amount of bloodshed at this time will give you recognition from anybody,” Lam added.
Earlier in the morning, Brigadier General William Gatjiath Deng said in a statement that opposition forces belonging to First Vice President Machar attacked their base in Magenis, but said the attacking force was repulsed and an unnamed senior commander of the attacking force was killed in action.
NAS attack in Morobo County
In the same statement, Col. Lam said forces of the National Salvation Front (NAS) led by General Thomas Cirilo Swaka had launched an attack on SPLA-IO forces on December 24, but said they were repulsed and said the screening process that was initiated by the SPLA-IO earlier this month was going on uninterrupted.
“On 24/12/2021, NAS forces attacked the SPLA-IO outpost in Papanga but were repulsed after an hour of clashes. This attack is uncalled for and has to stop for the sake of peace,” the senior opposition officer said.
“It should be noted that while all these anti peace aggressions are happening to the SPLA-IO, the Screening processes in the training centers are ongoing to produce National Unified Forces for this country,” he added.
He further reiterated that the “SPLA-IO remains committed to the Implementation of the Security arrangement to bring lasting peace to this country.”