A residential home in the South Sudanese capital Juba has been burned to ashes after a fire from an electric fault ravaged the area.
The incident, which happened in the neighborhood of Juba University was witnessed by the Juba City Council when the municipal authorities were doing an inspection on the weekly clean-up session.
“The leadership of Juba City Council headed by Moulana Kalisto Lado Faustino Nyigilo Wani, the Mayor plus the accompanying delegation was inspecting the massive clean-up campaign as scheduled every Saturday in Juba,” a Facebook post from Juba City Council says.
“During the tour, the Mayor received a call from the ground where a was caught by fire at Juba University neighborhood due to electric power according to a family statement,” it continues.
In a video that accompanied their weekly updates, the Mayor confirmed the incident and said the municipal authority would render the necessary support to the affected family.
“We saw the smoke and as the Mayor of the Juba City Council and my deputy and the directors of the three blocks [in Munuki], we rushed to the scene. It is our primary responsibility to provide security to these people who lost their property,” the Mayor said.
Mr. Kalisto also thanked the neighbor who showed to help put off the fire to prevent its escalation to cause damage on more property.
“We thank the neighbors for coming out and ordering a water tank to quench the fire. This is a great corporal work manifested in faith teaching that “love your neighbor as you love yourself”,” he said.
“As Juba City Council we are sorry and we stand in solidarity with the family,” he said adding that the City Council will work in solidarity with the Central Equatoria State authorities to ensure that the family recovers some of the burned property.
Details on the value of items lost were not immediately available by the time of writing. However, pictures posted online show a set of burned sofas and fridges among other valuable items.