Fuel shortage in Juba disrupts public transport as petrol stations remain closed

Spread the love

 – While fuel shortage in South Sudan’s capital Juba is disrupting public transport, some petrol stations have remained closed despite government appeal to traders to reopen businesses, according to several bus drivers.

Bus drivers who told Sudans Post that they have parked their buses over shortage of fuel said the crisis began on Wednesday when some petrol stations decided to shut down over depreciation of Pound.

The government later in the evening appealed to traders to reopen businesses as it promises that it will inject more dollars into the market to facilitate stability of the local currency against foreign currencies.

Speaking to Sudans Post this evening,  several bus drivers said there is a general lack of fuel for three days now, saying the depreciation of Pound has affected vital facilities in the town and said people were unable to go to other areas from Konyokonyo Market.

“Well since two days ago, there has been lack of fuel and as of today, because we have used the little fuel that we have, we couldn’t find another for use because first of all some petroleum stations are still closed I don’t know when they are going to open,” Ismail Jackson, a bus driver told Sudans Post in Konyokonyo.

“This is because some fuel stations have remained closed against government call to reopen,” he added.

Another driver who requested not to be named expressed concern that transport means could no longer exist if the crisis continue through tomorrow and the following day saying they have shut down their multi-routes bus service across the capital.

“We have closed down our service after working for half day. So if this crisis of fuel is going to continue, others who are still working will stop and this will affect the government because it is not all government employees that have cars,” he said.

A information ministry employee who spoke to Sudans Post this evening confirmed lack of buses at Konyokonyo bus station and said she couldn’t go to work today because of many people at the station.

She said she waited until 10 at the bus station before she could return home.

“I waited until 10 AM and return [home] around 10.30 AM because it is already afternoon,” she said.

Leave your vote

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.