Connect with us

Health

Fear as Ebola outbreak is confirmed in Uganda

Published

on

Ebola test
Spread news

 

 

At least six people suspected to have died from deadly virus in Mubende

Ebola has been confirmed in Uganda after at least six people died in Mubende after showing signs of the deadly virus.

The dead include: a female aged 10 months old from Kilwani village, Kiruma who died on September 11 from St. Florence medical Clinic; a male aged 32 years enrolled nurse at St. Florence Medical Clinic in Madudu who passed on September 15 from Cure medical clinic in Mubende town and a female aged 43 years from Bulega, Kiruma who died on died on September 1 at Mubende Referal hospital.

Others are: a female aged 10 months old from Bulega who passed on September 12 from Kiboga district but buried in Bulenga; a person aged 56 years old from Bulega in Kiruma who passed on September 13 and a female aged two years from Bulenga Village, Kakenzi parish in Madudu who died on September 15.

In a statemenent from the Mubende Regional Refferal Hospital director, Dr Alex Adema, it is suspected that the ebola cases are of the Sudan variant following tests at the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI).

Ebola is a rare and deadly disease in people and nonhuman primates. People can get ebola through direct contact with an infected animal (bat or nonhuman primate) or a sick or dead person infected with Ebola virus.

“Laboratory findings from UVRI indicate that the admitted patient that actually passed on today morning tested positive for Ebola Sudan variant. This is therefore to request you instruct your health workers, units/ health facilities departments to keep calm as we observe stern precautionary and infection prevention and control measures while doing our work. Renew their knowledge and increase their level of suspicion for VHF. I have contacted the Ministry of health commissioners for epidemic response and control. Teams have been dispatched to the region to give us backup support,” Adema said.

The ministry of Health is in preparations to issue a statement regarding the outbreak.

This will is the fifth time Uganda is reporting an ebola outbreak. Uganda last had an ebola outbreak in 2018. The deadliest was in 2000 were 224 deaths were reported. Others were in 2014 and 2017.

 

Story is being updated…

Continue Reading

Health

MoH deploys Ebola response team at southern borders

Published

on

Team of health workers deployed at the border towns of Nimule. (Photo: Mabior Kiir).
Spread news

 

 

The national Ministry of Health has deployed a technical team of 15 health workers to areas bordering Uganda and Democratic Republic of Congo to monitor and screen travelers amid the new Ebola outbreak in Uganda.

Dr. Victoria Anib Majur, the ministry’s undersecretary said a five-member team is heading to Yambio of Western Equatoria State.

The health personnel include public health officers, lab technicians, case management surveillance officers and infection and preventing control officers.

“The ministry of health is very determined to make sure that there are precautionary measures in place to make sure Ebola doesn’t enter to the country,” said Anib.

“On top of it, we want to send a message to people to adhere with measure by washing hand If any person develops symptoms of fever or suspects any symptoms, he should report it to the nearest health facility.”

Dr. Victoria who spoke to reporters upon the departure of the doctors from Juba Airport, revealed that the ministry has also dispatched similar five-member team to Yei and another to Nimule.

Team of specialists deployed in Yei to conduct surveillance on Ebola Virus Disease. (Mabior Kiir).
She said the health professionals will launch precautionary measures center to monitor suspect Ebola cases.

On Tuesday, health authorities in Uganda declared an outbreak of Ebola after a case of the rare Sudan strain was confirmed in Mubende district in the central part of the country.

So far, 31 confirmed and suspected cases, and 19 deaths have been reported by Uganda’s health ministryOn Friday, President Kiir’s cabinet meeting allocated 500,000 US dollars as funds for mitigation and prevention of Ebola following reported outbreak of the virus in Uganda early this week.

Via Eyeradio

 

 

Continue Reading

Health

South Sudanese man arrested in India over drug-related activities

Published

on

Handcuffed man. [Photo courtesy]
Spread news

 

INDIA – The Indian City Crime Branch (CCB) police on Wednesday arrested a 25-year-old South Sudan national who had allegedly sold MDMA to four people in the city in June.

Police were conducting investigations after the arrest of four persons including a woman for carrying MDMA drug weighing 125 grams from Padil here on June 15. They found that a foreign national had sold the banned drug to them.

A case under sections of the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act was registered against the four people at the Cyber, Economic, and Narcotics Crime (CEN) police station here.

 

 

 

The foreign national, identified as Luyel Daniel Justin Boulo alias Danny (25) from Juba, Republic of South Sudan, was arrested from the city on Wednesday, police said.

Boulo’s current address is given as Gunjur Palya, Varthur Hobali, Bengaluru, police said.

He was produced before the court and remanded to judicial custody, they added.

 

 

Continue Reading

Health

Government approves funds to fight Ebola

Published

on

Minister of Cabinet Affairs, Martin Elia Lomuro, speaks o reporters after the cabinet meeting in Juba on Friday, 23 September 2022. (Radio Tamazuj)
Spread news

 

South Sudan’s government has approved 500,000 USD as emergency funds in the fight against Ebola following the reported Ebola outbreak in neighbouring Uganda.

Uganda has confirmed seven cases of Ebola as authorities try to track down 43 contacts of known Ebola patients – two days after the East African country announced an outbreak of the contagious disease.

Ebola virus disease (EVD) is a severe and often fatal illness in humans caused by the Ebola virus. The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission. Based on previous outbreaks, up to 67% of infected cases die.

Addressing reporters in Juba on Friday after the cabinet meeting, Minister of Cabinet Affairs Martin Elia Lomuro said the ministry of health is ready to control the virus from entering the country.

“The ministry of health has the equipment and the facility and expertise to test and be able to control the disease, and we were told that the ministry is in that position, capable, has the experts and machines,” Elia said.

He revealed that the ministry of finance is ready to release the emergency funds as soon as the paperwork for the payment is ready.

Institutional reforms

Separately, Minister Martin said the cabinet also discussed a strategic plan for the Ministry of Public Service and Human Resource Development.

He revealed that the ministry seeks to introduce reforms in all public institutions. “We should also recognize that the agreement recognizes that these many ministries will be reduced so that we move towards a lean government and that the parastatals, commissions, corporations, whatever these are institutions that run the system, the ministry is now having the task to build institutions to make sure that the country is run by professionals,” Elia said

“There were institutions that we established after the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in 2005, and those institutions might have been weak in one way or another, but the policy that was presented by the minister is intended to build institutions in South Sudan,” he added.

Continue Reading

Trending