JUBA : 01/May/2023. The Minister of Information and Government Spokesperson, Michael Makuei, said no internally displaced camp will be created for the South Sudanese fleeing conflict in Sudan.
Makuei said the government will only set up transit camps for registration to facilitate their transportation to their areas of origin.
Paloch and Renk are designated areas where some countries are lifting their nationals who fled Sudan.
“These are people who also need to be brought, so they can join their brothers and sisters in Renk and so forth,” said Makuei.
Makuei added that those coming to seek refuge in the country will be taken to refugee camps within the country.
He told the media after the council of ministers meeting last Friday that the minister of finance and planning had released SSP 1 billion to the ministry of humanitarian affairs as the first payment to facilitate the resettlement of the returnees. He added that about 40,000 returnees have returned from Sudan since the conflict broke out, in addition to 10,000 non-South Sudanese in Renk and Paloch.
He said some South Sudanese are stuck in Goda Sudan, Rabak, and Kosti.
According to the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Albino Akol Atak, about 500 nationals—both South Sudanese and foreign—enter South Sudan from 12 entry points daily.
On April 15, 2023, fierce fighting broke out between the Sudan Armed Forces and rival paramilitary Rapid Support Forces. Since then, fighting has continued in Khartoum and western Sudan.
According to the latest figures from the Sudanese Ministry of Health cited by OHCHR on Friday,
The death toll in the conflict has risen to 512, according to the UN Refugee Agency humanitarian report released on April 28, 2023.
However, the tenuous ceasefire has reduced fighting in some areas, allowing those fleeing the conflict to leave their homes in search of safety.
Source: City Review SS ©