The Medicines Sans Frontiers has warned that any further violence in Kajo-Keji County could prevent the locals from accessing healthcare at the newly-opened hospital, leaving them in dire situation.
The renovated civil hospital was launched two days before the deadly violence on the eve of Pope Francis visit to South Sudan.
MSF said it has treated nine patients with gunshot wounds within hours of opening the civil hospital in Kajo-Keji County last week.
According to the medical charity, Kajo-Keji, one of the six counties of Central Equatoria, was severely devastated by the 2017 violence, forcing majority of the locals to seek refuge in neighboring Uganda.
With relative peace in the last three years, the displaced people have been returning home to re-settle and cultivate their lands.
However, a limited functioning healthcare system remains a major challenge.
“Violent incidents like this are of grave concern to MSF because they lead to suffering, loss of lives and displacement of the people,” said Jocelyn Yapi, the MSF Head of Mission in South Sudan.
She spoke in a recorded statement shared with Eye Radio on Thursday.
“Insecurity may make it too dangerous or risky for the patients to seek the healthcare they need at clinics and medical facilities like the Kajo-Keji hospital.”
The MSF official stated that out of 49 primary health facilities in Kajo-Keji, only 25 are functional including 22 supported by non-government organizations.
She warned that any further violence may cause much suffering and loss of lives and prevent people from seeking medical care.